Art is a behavior, a process, a way of life.

Art is a fundamental part of being human. After reading Conversations Before the End of Time by Suzi Gablik, I realized most classrooms (and myself) were guilty of holding a modern western mindset about art—a mindset that viewed art as a luxury rather than a way of life.

When I first read that art was a biological need for humans, I wasn’t sure if I fully agreed. I started thinking of what I have been taught about art in school and what little time we spent in art class. I realized I had a limited understanding of art since I viewed art as something specific: such as painting, coloring, or drawing. I saw art as more of a masterpiece or something hung on the wall, rather than a behavior, mindset, and lifestyle. Although I believed art had the power to transform, change, and hold meaning to human beings; I underestimated the importance of art since I did not see it as fundamental to existence. However, I realized this was because I bought into the idea that art was a thing—rather than a life style. When we start to view art as a behavior, then we start to see art as universally important. Since art is about creating, reflecting, and doing, art is part of reflecting and living a well-lived life.

In your classrooms, do you equivalent art to being human? What ideas about art do you hold and share with your students?

With much love,

-Teachertalk4all